Unfortunately, the early records of the Lincolnton United Methodist Church are not in existence, but it was organized during the first quarter of the 18th century.
On March 3, 1823, Colonel Peter Lamar of Lincolnton donated a tract of land in Lincolnton upon which a house of worship was built. This building was for years used by the Methodist, Baptist, and Presbyterian congregations, and was called the “Union Church.” The Methodist held services in the Union Church until a new church building was erected.
On January 18, 1912, the North Georgia Conference approved the purchase of a one-half acre lot from Mary J. and J. M. Nash for $300.00. On February 23, 1912, the Quarterly conference elected J. S. Willingham, R. B. Lang, T. C. Ward, W. N. Albea and J. L. Franklin, pastor, to serve as a building committee. Construction of the new church began on March 12, 1912, and the excavation was done by convict labor. The building was not completed until 1915 due to bad weather and lack of funds.
The church building as originally erected was a wooden structure with a bell tower on the right corner of the building and the first stained glass windows in Lincoln County. Two Sunday School rooms were located to the rear of the pulpit.
In 1950, a Sunday School building with four rooms and two restrooms were added. In 1960, another expansion was needed and the Social Hall and kitchen to the rear of the church was added. In 1995 the present Social Hall was built.